Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Blogging from Patmos

So here I am, in the historical present, on my island, like St John, shown above. Substitute a laptop for the tablet and you have me, to the life.

St John, however, used his island time to better effect than I did. I didn't see the new heaven and the new earth, much as I would like to.

On the other hand, the old heaven and the old earth have much to recommend them, and of those, as well as the old sea, I saw plenty.

Ate well, mostly from the old sea's abundance, and saw more of my kids than I usually see during the busy weeks of what we call, with bitter humor, "normal life." Played some music on the island's old piano and even older reed organ. Took the Scapegrace out for a few day-sails -- once with my brother and sister-in-law, once with Mrs Odysseus, once by myself.

Happy pleasant tranquil times are hard to write about, and hard to make interesting. The outboard-motor subplot advanced a bit during these Arcadian days, but perhaps I'll leave that for another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment